SAMPLE RECIPES from
PREVENT AND REVERSE HEART DISEASE
by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., MD
Kale/Lemon Sandwiches, the Ultimate in Health
We had been traveling and longed for GREENS, and when we got home only KALE was in the refrigerator. Lucky us for that day!
This sandwich is stunningly delicious and tastes as good as it is healthy. Any greens of choice will work. The lemon adds an almost sweet taste. Be generous with it!
4 slices Mestemacher or any whole grain bread
1 bunch of kale, chopped in bite sized pieces (remove thick stem) or
Swiss Chard or greens of choice
hummus without tahini (easy to make blending a base of chick peas,
lemon and garlic then adding to taste cumin, vinegar, red peppers, parsley or cilantro
green onions (1 per slice of bread)
1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley, chopped
1/2- 1lemon plus zest, center part VERY, VERY thinly sliced and the ends squeezed and zested
1 large tomato, sliced in 4 thick slices (optional)
- Toast bread well. If using Mestemacher or a rye or pumpernickel double or even triple toast.
- Put kale in a pot with about 4 inches of water in the bottom. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until kale is tender. Check frequently.
- Spread toast thickly with hummus, sprinkle green onions on the hummus, pile cilantro on top of the green onions and then place a few thinly sliced lemons slices on the cilantro.
- When Kale is tender, drain well. Shake the strainer so all water is gone, sprinkle the kale in the strainer with lemon zest and remaining lemon juice. LOTS of lemon makes this good!
- Then put a big handful of lemon filled kale on top of each piece of bread. It is delicious just like that or top with a tomato slice.
And there you have health in a bite! A bit of a messy one at that!
Mango-Lime Bean Salad
MAKES 2 SERVINGS
Everyone loves this, so double or even triple the recipe! It vanishes in a flash, and also works well as a salsa. It really is our all-time favorite summer salad. The red onion adds a dash of color and the zest (the peel) intensifies the lime flavor.
1 mango, peeled and diced
1 small red onion, diced to taste (start with 1/2)
1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
zest of 1 lime
1 juicy lime, squeezed
cilantro, a lot, 1/2 cup or more
- Combine all ingredients. Serve on a bed of baby lettuce.
Sweet Potato and Lentil Soup with Shiitake Mushrooms
Serves 4 -6 (maybe)
This soup is so good Essy and I ate it ALL the first time I made it. If someone is hesitant about plant-based food, this has to be a convincer. Red lentils keep this soup a beautiful orange color. If you don't have leeks use onions. Serve it alone or over rice with a big green salad.
1 leek, thinly sliced, white only
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 -cups fresh (about 3.5 ounces) or dried shiitake mushrooms, sliced (soak dried shiitakes for 1/2 hour in warm water before slicing)
4-cups low sodium vegetable broth
1 1/2-cups red lentils
1 large sweet potato, scrubbed and diced, skin ok to use
1 bay leaf
1/4-cup basil or more
Pepper to taste
- In a large pan, stir-fry leek, mushrooms and garlic for 3 to 4 minutes until leeks are soft.
- Stir in broth, water, lentils, sweet potato, and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil then simmer uncovered until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft, about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and puree 2 cups of soup until smooth or use an immersion blender; return to pot, stir in basil and pepper to taste.
- Just before serving stir in as much as you dare fresh spinach. It will melt in the pot. If you prefer fill individual soup bowls with spinach and spoon hot soup over the spinach. Top with a sprinkle of more fresh basil.
This is FABULOUS alone, topped with fruit of any kind or as a frosting on cake. It is fast to make at the last minute. Use more or less lime according to taste. It is beautiful served in wine glasses topped with fresh raspberries (or other berries) and sprinkled with mint.
1 package (12.3 ounces lite firm or extra firm silken tofu (Mori-Nu)
1/3 cup maple syrup or sweetner of choice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
zest of 1 lime
- Blend tofu, maple syrup, lime juice and zest in a food processor until very smooth. Keep scraping down the sides of the processor to blend completely.
- Refrigerate until chilled.